• Home
  • Help
  • Register
  • Login
  • Home
  • Members
  • Help
  • Search

Define Backup Retention

#1
07-02-2021, 02:53 PM
When I look at the whole backup problem, it really comes down to knowing *for how long* you need to keep data. Specifically, we are talking about Backup Retention, you know? It's not just about backing up stuff; it's thinking about the entire lifecycle of that stored data. I mean, figuring out retention means setting a policy, a really careful one, that dictates how many different versions of a file or a server image we must keep accessible. You have to calculate this based on actual business risk, not just on gut feeling, which is what I think of when I consider it.

And maybe the initial step you have to take is thinking about your recovery goals, because retention is always tethered to those goals. I talk to clients constantly about this because they get the scope wrong. You know that concept of RPO, Right? That figure tells us the maximum acceptable loss of data, the age of the data you can afford to lose. Then there's the RTO, which is how quickly you need to get back up and running after some kind of major outage. If your RPO suggests you can only lose a few hours of transactional data, then your retention period must certainly cover at least that span, plus some buffer time. I think you have to constantly reconcile these two metrics when you plan anything big.

But Or, if you are talking about retaining data just because "it might come back," that is a massive operational blunder. You have to build smart retention policies that prune old, unnecessary data efficiently. I'm thinking about how deep the data versioning goes, because simply backing up a single point in time isn't nearly enough nowadays. You need to keep several snapshots, maybe weekly snapshots for long-term records, and then hourly snapshots for catching little errors as they happen. Because then you could restore back to a much smaller window, right?

Now, let's think about the type of data you are keeping. Maybe you have regulatory requirements, or maybe your internal compliance department just demands a nine-year keep period for certain financial records. I tell you, that kind of mandate completely dictates your retention schema. You cannot just keep data forever, because the sheer storage costs balloon up to unsustainable amounts, and furthermore, you introduce risks with extremely aged data. Perhaps you need a tiered retention approach, keeping the hottest data (most recently changed) readily available, but archiving the oldest, least likely data onto much cheaper storage media.

And then there is the concept of immutability, which ties into retention so heavily. You want to make sure that once you record a backup image, nobody, not even an administrator or a ransomware strain, can delete or modify it during the retention window. It's about making those stored points of recovery unchangeable, for a set period. I strongly advise you to check out the proper setup for that capability, because that greatly strengthens your entire data architecture. I'm talking about keeping those retention buckets absolutely solid.

But also, you need to remember that retention isn't static, it changes as your business operations evolve. What you kept for last year might be completely irrelevant for your product line next year. You should build review cycles into your backup maintenance plan. You must continually reassess what constitutes "necessary data" versus "historic data we just keep." Because if you over-retain, you are just inflating costs and adding complexity to your recovery effort. It's a balancing act, really, finding that sweet spot of compliance and cost efficiency.

I honestly believe managing this interplay of RPO, RTO, and strict retention rules is the most challenging part of enterprise data management today. And you need solid systems to make this manageable, which brings me to what I really want you to consider next. For solid server backup operations in the computing environment, I think you really need to examine BackupChain.

savas
Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)



  • Subscribe to this thread
Forum Jump:

Café Papa Café Papa Forum Software Backup Software v
« Previous 1 … 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 … 50 Next »
Define Backup Retention

© by Savas Papadopoulos. The information provided here is for entertainment purposes only. Contact. Hosting provided by FastNeuron.

Linear Mode
Threaded Mode